“You are too sensitive.”
“You need to calm down.”
I am here to tell you, as a fellow sensitive soul wandering this earth, that being sensitive is a gift! It is something you should value and explore as part of the fabric of what makes you, YOU! That being said, when we are more sensitive, it can be tougher to negotiate energy and emotion. You might feel like you are absorbing other people’s “stuff” and that being in certain situations is just too much. There are ways to manage your sensitivity…ways to ensure your energy and emotional fields stay clear so you can tap into your truth and the power of your own emotions. Here are some of my go-tos for “clearing out” and staying centred:
1. I wash my hands or take a shower. The act of cleansing with water can be powerful! When I am either washing my hands or taking a shower, I say a little mantra to myself – “Only good energy is welcome here.” This act of washing with water is a little ritual that enables me to take some time for myself, nature myself, and the mantra helps me to focus on what is happening in my system…as opposed to fixating on what is happening around.
2. Holding or gazing into a clear quartz stone. I have a small one that I will sometimes carry with me. They carry a high vibrational energy and I will simply hold it in my hands or gaze into it. These crystals are typically associated with healing and the higher chakra systems in the body including throat, third eye, and crown chakras.
3. Lighting candles, smudging with sage, or clapping/drumming. We can clear the energy of our space and body using different tools. Lighting clear-burning candles can immediately bring a cleansing energy to a space. Fire is associated with “burning out” of the old and negative energies that no longer serve us. We can offer up what we no longer want into the flame either verbally, or by burning words that we’ve written on paper. Smudging a space with sage can be helpful in cleaning out toxic energy from the space and inviting in good energy. You can also smudge yourself! When I go to a hotel room or enter a new space, I can sometimes feel residual energy from whoever was there before me. If I don’t have candles or sage, I will go around the room clapping or reciting mantras. Drumming can be a powerful way to clear out energy as well.
4. Mantras. One way to remove blockages or obstacles is to recite mantras. You can come up with a saying that is all yours, or use one created by someone else. The mantra for Ganesha, “Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha” is a particularly useful one when removing barriers. Another is a mantra for Kali, which can be used for awakening and purification. The mantra is “Krim” [“kreem”]. As with any mantra, use these with care as they are incredibly powerful. I recommend repeating them 108 times and then sitting in stillness, allowing the vibration of the mantra to reverberate through your body and the space.
5. I meditate or just sit quietly without distraction. One of the easiest ways to centre and ground, especially when we are feeling overwhelmed, is to simply sit in silence. Allow yourself to become fully present with yourself. These meditation moments can be simple – even meditating for one minute can have a profound impact on your nervous system!
Embrace your sensitivity…know you can manage it. Remember that this enhanced awareness is a gift that allows you to tune into others, but even more importantly, allows you to tune into yourself!
Be brave, beautiful souls!