“You are too sensitive.”
“You need to calm down.”
I am here to tell you, as a fellow sensitive soul wandering this earth, that being sensitive is a gift! It is something you should value and explore as part of the fabric of what makes you, YOU! That being said, when we are more sensitive, it can be tougher to negotiate energy and emotion. You might feel like you are absorbing other people’s “stuff” and that being in certain situations is just too much. There are ways to manage your sensitivity…ways to ensure your energy and emotional fields stay clear so you can tap into your truth and the power of your own emotions. Here are some of my go-tos for “clearing out” and staying centred:
1. I wash my hands or take a shower. The act of cleansing with water can be powerful! When I am either washing my hands or taking a shower, I say a little mantra to myself – “Only good energy is welcome here.” This act of washing with water is a little ritual that enables me to take some time for myself, nature myself, and the mantra helps me to focus on what is happening in my system…as opposed to fixating on what is happening around.
2. Holding or gazing into a clear quartz stone. I have a small one that I will sometimes carry with me. They carry a high vibrational energy and I will simply hold it in my hands or gaze into it. These crystals are typically associated with healing and the higher chakra systems in the body including throat, third eye, and crown chakras.
3. Lighting candles, smudging with sage, or clapping/drumming. We can clear the energy of our space and body using different tools. Lighting clear-burning candles can immediately bring a cleansing energy to a space. Fire is associated with “burning out” of the old and negative energies that no longer serve us. We can offer up what we no longer want into the flame either verbally, or by burning words that we’ve written on paper. Smudging a space with sage can be helpful in cleaning out toxic energy from the space and inviting in good energy. You can also smudge yourself! When I go to a hotel room or enter a new space, I can sometimes feel residual energy from whoever was there before me. If I don’t have candles or sage, I will go around the room clapping or reciting mantras. Drumming can be a powerful way to clear out energy as well.
4. Mantras. One way to remove blockages or obstacles is to recite mantras. You can come up with a saying that is all yours, or use one created by someone else. The mantra for Ganesha, “Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha” is a particularly useful one when removing barriers. Another is a mantra for Kali, which can be used for awakening and purification. The mantra is “Krim” [“kreem”]. As with any mantra, use these with care as they are incredibly powerful. I recommend repeating them 108 times and then sitting in stillness, allowing the vibration of the mantra to reverberate through your body and the space.
5. I meditate or just sit quietly without distraction. One of the easiest ways to centre and ground, especially when we are feeling overwhelmed, is to simply sit in silence. Allow yourself to become fully present with yourself. These meditation moments can be simple – even meditating for one minute can have a profound impact on your nervous system!
Embrace your sensitivity…know you can manage it. Remember that this enhanced awareness is a gift that allows you to tune into others, but even more importantly, allows you to tune into yourself!
Be brave, beautiful souls!
Are you ready to commit to a path with heart, to manifest your dreams? Get ready for a transformational and empowering journey that will do more than prepare you to teach yoga – it will change your life.
Bali: one of the most magical islands on this planet, where daily ceremony is still part of cultural ritual and, as a result, the spirits of this land are still alive and “speaking.” There’s no denying that there’s a different matrix or dimension here. Those of you who have been here already know it – and if you haven’t been here yet – it’s time for you to come and find out.
Ubud itself has its own sacred potency. The name itself, “Ubud” – taken from “Ubad” – means “Medicine” in Balinese.
This Level One Yoga Teacher Training is already powerful within itself simply with the 25 day commitment you make to YOU and your yoga practice. Combine that with the potency of working in subtler energetic realms with the healing magic of Bali – this is the perfect recipe for a transformational journey.
What makes the yoga portion of the training so potent is the energetic field that is held within the training – especially by Cat Kabira. Cat works in a subtler shamanic way – meaning that she has the gift of seeing deep blockages within the body whether it’s emotional, physical, mental, karmic, or on another energetic level – and can safely and fully hold space for you while you observe and watch it clear and transform. This is your opportunity to meet yourself – on every level – so that any old blockage, on any level and in any dimension – can be felt, met, and transformed.
This practice requires courage – taken from the French “Coeur” – asking you to come fully with, into and through your heart. This can be an intense process – this dance with yourself – so do know that your commitment to this program is truly a deeper commitment to levels of yourself you may have not even met yet.
Come ready to work, to practice, to look at yourself, to be surprised. This program is unlike any other. Drop your expectations but DO come with your personal intentions. Why are you here? We are not here to tell you the answers – we are here to ask you the questions and fully support you along your way.
For more information and to request an application, please email email@example.com or visit http://www.catkabira.com/event-module/yoga-energetics-foundation-yoga-teacher-training-2016
I ask students to “check in” with themselves when entering a practice space but, what does that mean exactly? Here are five easy tips for checking in with yourself that can be used any time of day or night…
- Physical Body. Pay attention to your physical being. What feels awesome, what doesn’t? Are you feeling like you need to stretch or strengthen? Does your body want something slower or faster? Tune into how the air feels on your skin, the way your clothes lie against your body, and where you are making contact with the chair or floor. Our physical bodies can tell us a lot about what will serve us best in any given moment.
- Mental Body. What’s going on inside that head of yours? Are your thoughts racing or are they calm? Are you thinking ten steps ahead or behind? Can you focus easily or are you finding that to be a challenge? By simply cultivating awareness of where our thoughts are, we can develop our ability to weed out those thoughts that aren’t serving us or are distracting us from the task at hand. While some of us may think we rock at multi-tasking, when it comes to checking in, allow yourself the freedom to step into the present moment.
- Emotional Body. Simply ask yourself, “How am I feeling?” We don’t have to have an explanation for our emotions, nor do we need to root around and find a solution. Allow yourself to feel just what it is you are experiencing – joy, anger, sadness, indifference. All emotions are valid and when we step back from judging our emotions, we give ourselves the gift of validation.
- Energetic Body. Part of this can be seen as “What is my energy level today?” but it is more about that subtler, energetic side of your being. Are you tuning into other people’s energy? Are you able to ground yourself? Are you feeling connected to the earth or are you flying high in the clouds? By feeling into our energetic state, we are tapping into a deeper level of experience that goes beyond the physical, mental, and emotional. Not sure where to start? Just allow yourself to sit or lie in a comfortable position and begin to breathe slow, deep breaths. Is that hard or easy? Are you able to sense the undercurrent that is riding just below your emotional self? Is your energy agitated or calm? Is it aggressive or passive? There is no wrong or right (and no judgement!), it is just about sensing where you are in the moment.
- Spiritual Body. Are you feeling connected to the greater whole? We are not alone in this world and when we expand our consciousness to the recognition that we are one part of many, it can lift us up! For some, included in this is their connection to a higher power or energy. When we have this feeling of connection, it can bring about a sense of calm as we begin to realize that everything we do has a ripple effect on others and on our planet. This recognition can be incredibly empowering as we strive to ensure a more positive and loving outlook in all we think, do, and voice.
So, the next time you step onto to your mat, or wake up, or are heading to bed (or anytime, really!), I encourage you to take a few moments to check in. Just completing these five steps can make a world of difference!
Love, light, and peace to you all!
When we work with our energetic alignment, oftentimes, we are working with the seven main chakras in the body. Think of these as points of energy from which we can set intentions and bring our focus when working with movement, our breath, and meditation.
I created this quick guide for those who are interested in a reference for the chakras (just click on the image below for a PDF). I’ve also blogged in the past around my experience with the chakras here, here, and here.
This little piece is in no way comprehensive, and gives just the very highest of overviews. There are a variety of places to find out more and I encourage every practitioner to explore their energetic body! It can deepen and enhance your practice – both on (and off!) the mat!