One of my favourite ways to meditate involves a candle. I find it helps to centre my mind – which can tend to wander off in many directions during some meditation sessions! Many of you may be familiar with this technique, but if not, here are some tips to get you started!
1. Prepare the space by ensuring it is dark enough that you won’t be distracted by other light sources. This may involve turning off other lights in your meditation space or drawing the blinds. You can also prepare the space by ensuring you have a comfortable place to sit and that any unnecessary background noises are kept to a minimum.
2. Light a candle and place it at or just below eye level. You don’t want to be looking down on the flame as this can cause neck and upper back strain.
3. Begin your meditation by taking a moment to settle into your comfortable seat and set an intention for your meditation practice.
4. Look into the flame and allow your mind to focus. Slowly breathe in and out, even giving a count to your inhales and exhales. Note that your eyes may water a little and that is okay! It just takes some practice. Over time, you may notice that you see only the flame and all other things in the room disappear.
5. You can use visualization techniques to imagine breathing in the light and warmth of this flame and then sending it out into the world. You can send that light and warmth to others in your life incorporating some elements of the Metta meditation practice as well.
6. When you have completed your meditation, take a few minutes to allow your eyes to rest by closing your eyes and sitting in stillness.
This powerful meditation practice, when done regularly, can be a wonderful addition to your overall practice of yoga!
Do you practice the candle meditation? If so, any thoughts, tips or tricks you would add here?
Peace to all.
Picture sourced here.